Thursday, April 2, 2009

Everybody Dance!

We had a middle-school dance today, for kids whose behavior has been consistently good, especially during PSSAs, and to my surprise, it was actually a total blast. I got to be the awkward white teacher out on the dance floor, who didn't know any of the moves or the dances (except the cupid shuffle...that one is easy since they tell you want to do), and I think my kids were more embarrassed than I was :)

All the K-5 teachers told us we were crazy to be having a dance, especially with the lights off (GASP!), and I have to admit, I had apprehensions myself. But the kids really rose to the occasion, with only a few students having to be separated for grinding (by an NTA with a yardstick...hilarious!) and as far as I know, nothing awful went down in the shadowy corners of the cafetorium (a mix between cafeteria and auditorium). It was nice to see the kids prove the rest of the school wrong for once and not live up to the low expectations the rest of the school sets for them as the unruly middle schoolers. All the teachers and kids left with smiles on their faces, which is always a nice way to end things right before break :)

1 comment: