Sunday, May 3, 2009

Open Mouth, Insert Foot

I mean to post this on Friday, but I decided to actually have kind of a social life this weekend in between working, so here it is now...

On Friday we were taking a quiz in class on our Holocaust novels, and this is always a management disaster. Keeping the louds kids quiet so that everyone can concentrate on their quizzes is a little bit like playing tug of war with a gorilla. But I did eventually manage to get things quiet in my last period class, and was walking among the desks when one of my hyperactive students yells out, in reference to the girl sitting near him

"Miss, she's saying that I have a small penis!"

Now, the first thing that came to my mind was that this girl is pretty studious and is unlikely to be whispering this under her breath as we're taking a quiz, so I said, "I'm pretty certain that's a lie."

Oops. Didn't think through that one. My class burst into laughter, and thankfully, it was time for us to break for lunch, because there's just no way you can follow up on that one.

1 comment: