Monday, February 8, 2010

Snowpacalypse!

In case you've been living under a rock and never see or hear the weather report, we had a snow day today because Philadelphia got buried under almost 30 inches of snow this weekend:

Our backyard from my 3rd floor window
Somewhere under there is our walkway around the back of the house

Some kids (or adults) even made a very realistic looking igloo in the backyard of the apartment building down the street. Basically, for a snow-lover, it was an awesome weekend, and it is even awesomer because I got today off.

Snow days as a teacher are way more awesome than they ever were as a kid, especially when you find out the night before that you don't have school the next day. I know I was excited as a kid to not have school but as a teacher, snow days are like a gift from the heavens. Don't get me wrong, it definitely messes up my planning and its a day that my kids aren't learning, and that makes me frustrated, BUT they're awesome because they're a day that I didn't plan to have off, and therefore actually feel like I can use to take some time to myself. Over the course of the week, I prioritize my work so that I know what has to be done on the weeknights because it is immediately necessary for school, and I plan to do things like grade major papers and lesson plan on the weekends. I planned for enough things to do in 2 days this weekend, so having an extra third day off means that this is about as close as I can ever get to unadulterated free time. Plus it means I get to play in the snow (snow angels, anyone?), which is especially fun with roommates from the south who never did this as a kid, and this time we actually got to enjoy the Superbowl.

Of course, it is back to school tomorrow, but a four-day week doesn't look so bad- and we have a three-day weekend next week :)


No comments:

Post a Comment