Thursday, October 15, 2009

Duckrey Happenings

I haven't updated in awhile, and I don't feel like writing anything especially profound today, as I have been trying and failing to fully recover and get back on top of my work after my (extremely fun) weekend trip to visit my sister in Boston, so here is an interesting smattering of happenings going on at school at the moment:

- our principal announced today that he was leaving in December to take an assistant superintendent job in a suburb of Philly. Hopefully this won't be an out of the frying pan and into the fire kind of experience

- a car was on fire outside of school the other day. Kids were running all over the place, especially toward the fire. Sometimes I wonder if the fight/flight instinct is really intact in these kids...

- the middle school has now instituted a mandatory "homework club" for all students who are regularly failing to complete homework (brainchild of yours truly...which of course means I have to run it...). Today was our first "meeting," which consisted of all boys, one of whom was much more interested in whether or not I would bring him some of my cheez-its that I have at home than in finishing his homework...

- I have a new best buddy in the 8th grade. We got a new student on Tuesday of this week- he started out the week VERY badly, swearing at the dean and me when we told him that he was in the wrong class (he followed all the girls to my class instead of going to science with the boys). However, things have turned around since he won candy in his first day in my class for being a winner in our class debate. Now, I frequently find myself being sneak attacked by an oddly huggy 8th grade boy, but I guess I'll take what I can get.

- I have been proposed to twice in the past two days by two different boys: one was a 7th grader in my homeroom who got down on one knee and pretended to give me ring, in an attempt to get out of classwork...and the second was today- one of my 8th grade boys saw my Penn ring and said "Forget that...let me put a ring on that finger." I haven't figured out whether or not this is a step up from my last marriage proposal, which was from this guy in Amsterdam last summer:

And that's all the news (from Duckrey) that's fit to print. The weekend cannot get here fast enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment