Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Students Are Coming! The Students Are Coming!

Well, it's now late August. My roommates have almost all returned, those of us who were here have played so many games of quizzo we may actually be sick of it now, Charlie's party is this weekend, and TFA has started weekly Thursday blasts again- all of which can only mean one thing: It's just about time for school to start again. And underneath the sadness that summer (and thus my lazy days of sleeping until 9am instead of 6am) is almost over, I keep feeling something weird, something unexpected. It took me a long time to put a finger on it, but I think I might be able to call that feeling...excitement?

Excitement was not the feeling I was expecting to feel on the eve of my second year of teaching. Not after last year's numerous bouts of crying, minor depression, anger, frustration, and general terror about the path I had chosen for the next two years. However, as I walked into my new classroom, having moved down the hall now that I am Duckrey's only social studies teacher (and my new classroom is bigger!), and as I begin working through my incentives and management plan and my unit plans for the beginning of this year, I'm finding that I am kind of looking forward to having students again. This year, hopefully at my mercy, rather than me being at theirs. I am excited to teach social studies, a subject which, in previous years, has been neglected and left to a teacher who seemed less-than interested in his subject, and to teach it so that my students can have as good a social studies education as I had (thank you, Mr. Traester), and so that they leave me with a much better sense of their world than they had before they entered my room this year.

So overall, I can seriously say, I'm ready to head back to the classroom. Well, almost. I still have to finish 3 unit plans, make 587 posters, and spend ridiculous amounts of money on classroom supplies... But after that, I will be ready to make this the best year it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment